Wednesday, April 21, 2010

How to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time?

Weight Loss | Muscle gaining


Q:Hi. My friends telling me that it's almost impossible to gain muscle while you lose weight. Is that true?

I have been working out and lifting weights for like 30-40 min. every other day. The days i was not lifting - I would run 3-4 miles.. I don't know if that's good or wrong, I don't wan't to waste my time if I can't actually even gain muscle. Should I just stop lifting and just run every day??

Right now:
  • I am 17 5'9 210 lbs
  • I'm eating 1500 calories a day (mostly chicken), no red meat

Maybe it would be better if i just stopped lifting, untill I get to my goal of 180lbs? Any tips?

A: The answer is NO! Don't stop lifting at any cost.

The thing is that doing weight training while on a diet - will help you retain more muscle. This is because when you go into a deficit, your body is not just burning your fat, but your muscle too and lifting weights will help that proportion lean more towards fat. It's like telling your body you still need those muscles. Plus it's usually a good workout too.

By the way, it's a lot harder to gain muscle than lose it. So, don't wait until you hit your goal to do it.

Here is a great ebook that we are highly recommending for you to have. Hope this helps.